Monday, March 24, 2008

Eternity

So, how am I doing? Better? Yes. And, No. Linda's absence is always present with me. I have heard several people say that they expect her to call, or they expect to see her. I don't. Nor, have I expected to see her again one single time. When Linda died, it was as if a door slammed shut, and it slammed with force. I can still hear that sound. Her absence is always present with me. Always. I am aware that our relationship will never be the same (Matthew 22:23-33). Whatever we experience will be grand beyond anything we could ever anticipate, but it will not be the same. Since I am in this temporal state, the loss is stunningly difficult to bear. "Empty" does not adequately describe the emotion. At the risk of repeating something I said earlier (I am not lazy, I just do not have the energy to go back through the last few posts), the words "vacant" or "hollow" would better describe what her absence means to me, but there is no way to adequately articulate this place in which I find myself.

Ah, self. It is when I get past myself and think about eternity that I do better. We are all designed for eternity to begin with, but that old temporal state is quite tangible and demands our attention. The entire fourth chapter of 2 Corinthians deals with our need to gain perspective that reaches beyond our senses. We are told (at the end of the chapter) to focus on eternal things, not temporal things. We are also told that our "light" affliction (from a man who had been stoned and left for dead, beaten several times for his faith - read more about Paul's difficulties in 2 Corinthians 11:16-29) serves a purpose to prepare us for glory. As C. S. Lewis said when his wife, Joy, had died, "The pain now is part of the joy then." I will say more about that quote later.

It is when I think of eternity that the Lord lifts me from the loneliness. Not that grieving is past - far from it, Linda's absence is always present with me no matter what I do or where I go. But, I smile when I think of her joy right now - she has seen Jesus! Her faith is reality! She is through with pain and suffering, with loss, with her own sinful self! If God allowed me the opportunity to bring her back, I could not do it - how selfish that would be.

But, God calls me not only to think of eternity for her, but for myself as well. He wants my focus to be on Him. If Jesus is the only one who can truly fulfill me (or any of us), I must look beyond my own grief and share in Christ's suffering. Not His sacrificial suffering, of course, but whenever we suffer, our great Friend is near. He is no stranger to loss and He communes with us at a deep level when we allow Him to be a part of our suffering. To connect with Jesus in that way is to look beyond this world and live with an eternal perspective.

But, I am still trying to figure it all out. If the last paragraph sounds like I am there, then I apologize for misleading you. It is just something that has helped a bit in these last days. It is, of course, biblical thinking, but when you have to apply it at this level, it seems brand new! The elders of our church have been gracious to me and almost insistent that I take time to deal with the loss. Part of me very much wants to get back to work, but your responses have helped me to conclude that this is, indeed, the work that God has for me right now - to experience this at a level most people cannot because of the business of life. If that sounds like an excuse to get out of work, please know that I would give anything for a normal life right now, but that door has been closed. As one friend (who knows) has told me, this is the new normal

So, I am better and I am not. That's the way of grief, I suppose. I recognize how very blessed I am to have so many people who care, and who are praying. My expressions of gratitude never seem to me to be enough - I wish I had a better way to thank you, but please know how very grateful I am!

5 comments:

Linds said...

Brad,

Thank you for sharing the range of emotions you are feeling and how you deal with those, physically and spiritually. Please know that even though we are a distance apart, I still gain much insight through reading your blog. Its is truly a blessing to read. Nick and I are praying for you and the family and hope to visit with you whenever we can get back to Buies Creek -

Keep blogging!

With Love,

Nick and Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Dear Brad:

I too want to thank you for sharing your heart and soul with us. Debbie and I have been amazed at how the local body and the body universal has responded. It is such a wonderful thing to see people ministering to you and your family in a way that only His people can. Your transparency is a breath of fresh air to me and many others. We are praying for you during this time and look forward to seeing you again in November.

Love,
Ron & Debbie
Cali, Colombia

Celia said...

Dearest Brad,
What a gift that you can work through this grief solely! I am so blessed to hear you have some time to figure out how life goes on without all the pressure of working right now. Grief will be dealt with in a destructive way if we do not have room to feel it and face it head on. It sounds like you are doing just that. We continue to lift you up daily. May God touch you in a mighty way this day!
We love you
The Farley's

Jonsey said...

2 Thoughts.
One is I thought of Screwtape Letters by Mr. Lewis when you said "Ah, self. It is when I get past myself and think about eternity that I do better." I think it was just last night that I read that deamons primary goal is to get us to be consumed with ourselves and basically God's is to get us to be consumed with Him (eternity). So, yeah, I have been thinking on that.

2. I was really encouraged about heaven and about Ms. Linda when I heard a pastor at church Sunday tell the story about when he was in seminary (at Princeton soon after his conversion) he was taking with a group of people about how disturbed he was that he would not be married to his wife in heaven. He went on to tell of how much he enjoyed her and how the very thought upset him. He said that a guy came up to him and said he heard him talking about it and the guy said "you know, its not that you will enjoy her less, its that we will all enjoy eachother equally a great amount more than you do your wife even now."
Or something along those lines. That sounds glorious to me. How vast the depths of that beautiful place. I hope its encouraging to you also.

Anonymous said...

We seem to be visiting that old Anglican sage C.S. Lewis a lot these days. A friend just posted this quote which I found quite convicting. It does not have to do with grief, or does it, since He is surely our only True lifeline?

"This is my endlessly recurrent temptation: to go down to that Sea (God) and there neither dive nor swim nor float, but only to dabble and splash, careful not to get out of my depth and holding on to the lifeline which connects me with my things temporal." - C.S. Lewis

Steve

PS Finished A Severe Mercy (again!) with moist eyes. Can't ever recall a book touching the tear ducts before. Incredible and, yes, all you guys following this blog must read it.