Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Checking In

I must confess that I am a bit taken aback that so many of you are still checking this site. I did promise more from Linda's heart and I will get to that, hopefully within a week. I do plan to continue writing - I will talk about that in the not too distant future, but I will tell you that I have thought (with strong encouragement from David Calvert) about writing with an emphasis toward college students. We have a number of students from Campbell University that attend Grace, and I dearly love interacting with students. I love all ages, but I think a blog would be particularly interesting to that group, if one has something worth saying, that is. We will have to see about that! There are a lot of things (and, I certainly hope they would be of interest to all ages) I often think about theologically and philosophically that would be difficult to address thoroughly on Sunday morning. It is not that these topics would be inappropriate on Sunday morning, but a blog would allow for more speculation, more "thinking out loud on paper," more direct interaction with contemporary worldviews. It may be worth checking out, no matter what your age, but I fully understand if you slip away. Well, I need to stop - I am, after all, just "checking in."

As always, I want to thank you so much for praying and encouraging our family (all of us, including Linda's parents and siblings) in the many ways you have. The responses to this blog, the cards, the e-mails, the notes, the hugs and words of encouragement - WOW! Since you have been so great, I would like to make a few specific requests. First, please continue to pray for all of us. I imagine there are many different ways that people grieve. While I have an over-all "sadness" that is always with me, I am able to laugh and engage other people and some ideas, even. On the other hand, certain items that I see, or certain thoughts that hit me out of the blue, create some world class emotional pain. In those moments, the grief is intense. Fortunately, those episodes are usually brief, but there are enough of them to know that I am very much in an early stage of grieving. I am not ready to leave it, though. As painful as it is, it keeps me very much connected to the love of my life! Don't make more out of that than I mean - I am still with you in the real world.

Also, pray for the kids. It is tough for all of them, though I do think they are handling it quite well. One special request - Brian (Autumn's husband) found out on Sunday night or Monday morning that his best friend from high school (though they have not kept in touch these last years) committed suicide. Brian was already grieving for the Dean family (Nancy, you will recall, died in February) and for Linda (he was very close with her) when he got the news. He is, as you would imagine, a bit overwhelmed. I could not have two better sons-in-law and a soon to be daughter-in-law. So, when I ask for prayer for the kids, I mean all six of them!

I took longer checking in than I planned, so I will say good night I love all of you!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

always thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

Ahhh ... I see we are still both night owls!

It was just impossible to get down to NC last week but I thought of you all often ("in my mind I'm going to Carolina..." :-) ) and I prayed for you guys with each rememberance. I never would have guessed this was a road we - you - would be walking down. Life is a divine mystery.

I just finished reading through the OT Prophets today and I could not escape the number of times God promised to restore His people. Obviously their downfall was sin-related, but I still was awestruck by this side of God's character. He is the Restorer, the Healer, the binder of wounds. IT IS HIS VERY NATURE! I know that in His time, in His way, He will be the same for you. How awesome that He is still the great I Am!

Blessings, my friend,

Steve

PS I picked up a copy of A Severe Mercy. Thanks for recommending it. Excruciatingly beautiful! And keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

Brad, we love you too brother! We are praying for you.

Reid S. Monaghan said...

Brad,
Kasey and I just read the blog - in our whirlwind right now I was not checking in here enough. We did not get word of Linda's passing and arrangements and apologize for not writing sooner. I am so glad we were able to get some time in late February brother.

I am praying for you and the kids in this coming season - adjusting to life which is different. I know that the smiles of heaven now include Linda's - she is now part of the great cloud of witnesses cheering on all left here to continue serving in his name.

Let me know if I can serve you or grace in this season. Whatever I can do to help the church in the coming weeks(pulpit, team building, planning...anything) please let me know.

My two cents - keep writing. We love you guys.

Jonsey said...

Its good to hear from you!

Keep checking in!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad...Just know that you are prayed for on a daily basis. Our heart is with you and the "kids" If you ever need anything including just someone to talk to and grieve with, please don't hesitate to call. We are thinking about ya'll constantly. We love you, brother!

David and Mary Beth

Anonymous said...

I sure am glad you are going to keep blogging because I think I'm addicted! :)
You ALL are continually in our prayers!

love you all,
Courtney

David said...

yeah, you're definitely not gonna get away with NOT blogging now that you've been doing it for so long. and once you're back around the office, i'm going to be sure to bug you about it :-)