Monday, March 17, 2008

God's Favor

Back in late February, our good friends, George and Rebecca Womble, gave us a copy of "Daily LIght for Every Day," which provides Scripture (only), usually centered on a theme, both morning and night. This wonderful little book was first published in 1794 and continues to bless God's children to this day. For each page (representing a morning or evening of a particular day), somewhat lengthy passages will sometimes be included, but more often than not single verses will be listed, and more often than not, only portions of verses will be listed. (I am usually leery of publications or sermons that group Scripture together in such a way because of the temptation to make a point by taking Scripture out of context, but care was taken to avoid such a mistake in this book.) A verse, or a portion of a verse, that is listed at the top of each offering will give you an idea where the verses are going for that particular morning or evening. Many families use this little gem of a book to stay connected with one another, all reading the same Scripture though they are thousands of miles apart. Great idea!

As you know, Linda died exactly two weeks ago from today. My wonderful children have helped me get the house back into shape (as well as a few wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ!), and while I can usually put my hands on most things, I was unable to get to the copy of "Daily Light." Rebecca had sent a card saying that I should read the collection of Scripture for the evening of March 3, the day Linda went to be with the Lord. When I finally was able to read them last night, my heart was overwhelmed with a sense of God's favor, both for Linda and for me. I would like to share them with you, in the same format in which they are found.

The prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

You will have treasure in heaven; . . . come, follow Me. I am . . . your exceeding great reward.

Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord. They shall reign forever and ever.

You will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away. The crown of life. The crown of righteousness. An imperishable crown.

Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me. We shall always be with the Lord.

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

PHIL. 3:14; Matt. 19:21; Gen. 15:1; Matt. 25:21; Rev. 22:5; 1 Pet. 5:4; James 1:12; 2 Tim. 4:8; 1 Cor. 9:25; John 17:24; 1 Thess. 4:17; Rom. 8:18

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad,
Thank you for these scriptures today. I needed them - more than you can ever know. (God knew) I am continuing to pray for you and your precious family.
Love,
Eva

Anonymous said...

WOW! How comforting to read those scriptures! A true sense of God's favor! Thank you for sharing.
Vickie

Anonymous said...

Praying for you brother. Samuel Rutherford paraphrased that last verse by saying"our little time of suffering is no worth our first night's welcome home to heaven"
While I certainly don't mean to trivilaize anyone's grief, I have often taken comfort in those words.

Blessings,
David E

Celia said...

Brad,
What a beautiful gift from Our Lord. "He sent forth His Word and healed them". His Word is such a source of comfort and encouragement when we don't even know what we need. Such a blessing for all of us!
We Love You
The Farley's

Anonymous said...

Oh, how our Lord loves and provides so perfectly, exactly, and completely. He cares about every detail of our lives. Praise the Lord that you can look back and see how He was providing for you on March 3, and how that provision can bring you comfort today. He is faithful to remind you now, when you are missing Linda so much, how deeply He loves you and Linda, and how great her welcome "home" actually was and will be forever! It's hard to imagine that we will never "wear out our welcome" in heaven! Thank you for sharing how awesome and detailed our God is!

We love you, Brad, and ask God to heal your heart.

Love,
Keisha

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say that what you have written over these past weeks has blessed my heart. I am praying for you and your family -
love in Jesus Christ, and in the Grace and Mercy of the Father -
Luke

Anonymous said...

Just read the last three posting and joined with the tears. You and the family will continue to be in my prayers. Thanks for your uplifting remarks. Linda will always have a special place in my memory.
Love,
Ann Martin