Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Value of Tears

I cry a lot these days. Not as much as I did in the first two weeks after Linda graduated to heaven, but I cry much more than I did before she died. It was not always this way, though. As a young man I cried here and there, but I was embarrassed by my tears. One day, when I was a summer camp counselor at TVR Christian Camp, an incident occurred with a group leader that brought quick and embarrassing tears to my eyes. I remember asking the Lord - in fact, I remember the very spot where I made my foolish request - to take away my tears. Oh, how I regretted that prayer for many years, because my prayer was fully answered! Many years later when I began to ask the Lord to allow me to cry again, I realized that it would be a different story the other way around. The tears would not return easily. Of course my hard heart was to blame, not the Lord's unwillingness to answer my prayers.

In fact, we are told that God is near to the brokenhearted - often that is a reference to a brokenness over sin, but God clearly is near to those who are hurting. In a time of deep trouble, David asked the Lord to put his tears in a bottle (Psalm 56:8). David was writing, of course, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Think about tears being bottled - it implies that the one Who is bottling the tears counts every tear as precious and will remember the grief that caused the tears. Time and again in the Old Testament, God was astonished that His people did not turn to Him in a time of trouble. The Lord often brings us into difficult situations to turn our attention toward Him. Do not waste the tears that God gives you!

I do cry more, now, but probably one reason is that I am older. We old men tend to cry more than we did when we were younger. I am certain that there are several reasons for that, including physiological ones. I actually envy young men who are able to cry. Why? Because there is great value in tears! Tears can serve to cleanse heart and soul. Tears tend to focus the mind for some. Tears can salve a troubled spirit. Tears may indicate a great love for something that was lost, and wouldn't we all rather love and lose than to never love? Love is risky like that. If we never cry because we have lost something, chances are that we never gave our hearts away to anyone, and what a tragedy such a self-centered existence turns out to be!

So, if you seldom cry, why not ask God to soften your heart? Women do not usually have to work very hard on this, but a lot of men - young men, especially - need to ask God to open their tear ducts and allow them to cry over something lost, to cry over sin (as Jesus did), to cry out of joy found in special moments with Him or with loved ones, to cry over - well, you finish it. I am so glad that God gave Linda and me a relationship worth tears at the end. May God give you the gift of love and the gift of tears!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful reminder of the value of tears! The flesh tries to creep in and say, be strong you can handle it. But what a sweet intimate feeling when we cry out to the Father over our hurts and losses. I never understood why some people look at crying as a sign of weakness..instead it is a sign of being close to the Father. Matt.11:28 Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
Praying for you daily.
Vickie

Anonymous said...

You are a blessing even to those you have never met. Thank you for continuing to share.

Anonymous said...

You are indeed a blessing even to those you have never met! Your words are beautiful--you have a true gift of writing. One day you might consider compiling these words into a book which could touch so many hurting people. Your words would surely bring hope and healing to others suffering loss. But for now, I pray for God's loving arms to surround you, and for you to feel His tender care and concern for you, and to KNOW how much He loves you. YOUR tears are as precious to Him as David's were. The Lord has put you on my heart and I will continue to pray for you. Thank you for sharing. God is using you in a mighty way, even in your grief.

jinglchelle said...

it's interesting you blogged all about this because there was definitely a long period of time in my life where i think i became very hard-hearted just to be able to survive through all the things that were going on and i really didn't cry/get emotional about anything.

a couple years ago, i realized the value of tears - of being able to feel so much compassion and connectedness to the happenings in life that it truly touches your heart and you cannot control your reaction. i prayed for God to soften my heart and at this point in my life, i can't stop the tears! i cry at least once a day and i try to remember to thank God for overcoming my selfish heart.

i miss you brad and i pray for you often!

Kelly said...

Brad,
My heart is breaking for you in your loss. I am so thankful to know that God understands and is with you as you cry out. I appreciate the lessons you have shared as you have walked this road that is so frightening to the rest of us. You are a blessing and I am praying for you and your entire family.

Anonymous said...

... tears are the window of the soul. A little trite, but true!

And why is my word verification "fatbuoyx"? (Sound it out.) Are you trying to tell me something? LOL.

Steve

Anonymous said...

www.iseeblood.blogspot.com

many tears have been shed..

v.taimani said...

hi.. i dont know you personally but i am sorry to hear of you loss.. last night i blogged about crying and tears being a sense of freedom.. a friend of mine read it and referred me to this blog.. i really like what you had to say and couldnt agree with you more..