Wednesday, March 5, 2008

You Were Holding Linda's Hand

Historians and sociologists tell us that the Internet is one of the 5 - 10 most important developments in the history of mankind! If you have never thought about that before, take a moment and you will understand. It was because of this radical new means of staying connected (which can be negative if it takes the place of face-to-face human interaction, but that is not the case here) that I think of you holding Linda's hand when she went to be with Jesus.

Sunday was an extremely difficult day at our house. A pall hung over us. Her breathing was labored, but we had all ideas that she would be with us another week or two. Because of her pitiful (humanly speaking) condition, I wanted to pray for the Lord to take her, but I could not even think about brining myself to do it! That is just one reason that we need each other so much in the body of Christ. Our family needed YOU to pray for God to end her suffering and bring her to Himself. We couldn't do it, so it was up to you. Several of you have told me that is how you prayed. Thank you. In some day yet to come, I may pray for God's mercy in that way for your loved one when you find it impossible.

So, Sunday was a tough day. Linda's parents decided to return home to take care of a few things that had to be attended to. We really had no idea that she would leave us so soon. I went to sleep Sunday night with a heavy heart. Oddly, I slept fairly well that night.

Monday morning, I awoke with God's mercy and peace flooding my soul. It did not make sense to me, and I certainly was not thinking He was preparing me for the events that lay within an hour of that moment. Linda's breathing was just the same as it had been the night before, but there was a difference in my heart. God was drawing me toward Himself. So, I got out the old laptop and sat on the bed, sharing the details of Linda's journey with you ("This Did Not Take God By Surprise") and the way God was dealing with us through her struggles. Just as I was finishing the post, I became aware (consciously or subconsciously, I cannot remember) that her breathing had slowed. It was not that unusual for her breathing to change, but as I hit "publish post," I became intensley aware that something was different. I ran to her side, where she was still breathing, but her breaths were very quiet and very shallow. I called Michael into the room immediately and we panicked a bit (not as good as we should be at calmly responding to the crisis at hand). We immediately called Hospice just as any discernible breathing ceased. Upon arriving, Jane O'Quin, our wonderful Hospice nurse (Oh, the great people who walked through this with us - we can never adequately thank them!), listened to her heart and detected a slight fluttering. A few minutes later, all connection with life ended.

NO, WAIT - LIFE WAS JUST BEGINNING FOR LINDA! And, through the wonder of Internet, you were holding her hand as she was welcomed into heaven by Jesus, my mother, her grandparents, aunts and uncles, and a host of our and your loved ones who are already there! She is there, but we are still here, missing quite a lady (if you knew her, you know that is inadequate, but what could one possibly say that would be adequate?) Thank you for being there for us, with us, surrounding us! Whenever I write, I know that so many of you are praying and caring ---- and, holding our hands. We will ever be indebted to you.

Our hearts are hurting. We are grieving, but Linda is worth every ounce of grief that is experienced! The fact that the greatest group of brothers and sisters in Christ that could be found (Grace Community Church and all of you!) are walking this painful path with us eases our burden. WE LOVE YOU!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad, upon reading your post Monday morning (just minutes after you posted) I cried and prayed so urgently and earnestly that the Lord would restore Linda to complete health. It was only minutes later that He did just that, though not in the way I intended...I can't understand His answer but fully know that His will is best.
Rejoicing with a broken heart,
Jacquelyn

Anonymous said...

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted,..... Psalms 34:18- That was on my kitchen devotional calendar Monday AM- I am so thankful that this verse is so true for you and your family in these days- Praise God for the redemption that is Linda's and for the promise that is ours - My heart aches for you all but rejoices with Linda. Thank you for sharing and allowing me to grow through your experience. Much love and many prayers- Leanne Walters

Anonymous said...

Brad, what a blessing your writings have been, and yes, the internet has been a wonderful thing to help us all get bits and glimpses of the journey Linda and your family has been on. Thank you so much for sharing with us.Our hearts ache for you and yet we rejoice at the thoughts of Linda in Heaven. Much love for your family from ours, Jill Woodlief

Anonymous said...

I know it had to be very difficult for you to pour your heart out and share with us this painful journey. But through you sharing it allowed us as you so beautifully put it to "hold your hands" and lift you up to the Father. I was praying at work for Linda and had an overwhelming feeling that Linda's suffering had ended and Heaven was rejoicing! So you described it beautifully!
Praying for you and your family through the many difficult days ahead.
Love,
Vickie

Anonymous said...

Pastor Brad and family,

Be assured of the prayers of the employees of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina in the days ahead. May the peace of God which passes all human understanding keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Blessings,
Don L. McCutcheon, Sr.

Anonymous said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you for comfort, strength, and peace. I know she is in no pain and in Heaven. While you miss here here on earth, you will see her again.

Margaret Harding
WMU NC

Marc said...

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Ps 16:11

Thanking God for his grace to get you through this, and for Linda's fullness of joy.
Marc C

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Brad, for allowing us to be part of your love and grief. We rejoice and weep with you--rejoicing that Linda's suffering is over, weeping for you (and our) loss of a precious lady. Our hearts are with you even though we cannot be there in body.
Lovingly,
Bob and Pat

Anonymous said...

Brad,
I truly experienced what you just described here. Even though I didn't know it at the time, I do feel that God allowed me to express my love for you and Linda at just that moment of passing. How good He is and His timing is truly perfect! It is so awesome to think that,not only was He being gracious and loving to you, Michael, and Linda, but He was loving each of us and allowing us to share in it with you. What a mighty God we serve who infinitely binds us together and knows our needs. I have expressed on several occasions to you how much this blog has meant to me, to share in your joys and sorrows, to know how to care and pray. I am eternally grateful for your heart and courage to share.
Oh, what a wonderful woman. There aren't adequate words to say what Linda has meant to me... just a glimpse of Jesus for my journey here.

We love you and your family immensely!

Keisha

Christen and Richard said...

Just wanted to send Michael and the rest of the family a hug today. Sometimes there are no words, but God hears even the utterings. ~Christen 'Upchurch' Clark

Don said...

Pastor Brad:

The Village Church at Holly Springs is praying for you and your family.

What an encouragement to see a pastor's wife who finished well! And with a loving family by her side.

Don Brown, Pastor
The Village Church at Holly Springs

Anonymous said...

Brad, I am so sorry for your family's loss but like so many I am rejoicing in the fact that she is completely healed and with the Lord. I am so glad I got to see you and Linda Sunday after church and leaving that day I too thought there would be more time. I was still praying for full restoration. When I heard the news Monday morning my first thought was "oh no it cannot be" but then a wonderful vision filled my mind----I saw Linda with our Lord and Savior smiling and my little Chadrick coming to her. I thougt to myself Linda is with my little one meeting him for the first time. Both you and Linda have been such a blessing to me and Ryan in so many ways and I am forever greatful that the Lord crossed our paths. I will carry all the memories with me always---I only wish there were more but those who are believers know that this life is short compared to an eternity and you and Linda have helped me look at life in a brighter way by your example in Christ. Thank you for your example, guidance, kind words, and encouragement. I pray that I will be able to give back to your family what you all have given to Ryan and I. Linda is, was, and will always be for me what living for Christ should be like. I will miss her terribly but rejoice in the fact that one day will come when we will all be reunited never to apart again. Praying for you all with love.

In Christ,

Brenda and Ryan

Anonymous said...

Brad - please know how much Linda is loved, even as she is with our Father, and what an impact she has made in my life. We had a meeting after school today and we had a moment of silence for her and Sandy Howard's father, and I shared what Linda meant to me. Because of my friendship with her, my relationship with Christ has strengthened even more and will continue. Your family and you are being lifted in prayer and we love you.
Eva

Olive Wild said...

Grieving, but remebering her awesome example. She was "the fragrance of Christ".
All my love,
Joy

Anonymous said...

Mr. Brad,
I just had to let you know what an encouragement you have been, to see your family going through this & what joy God has given you all. Tonight as I went through the line, although you were hurting, I could see Jesus in you. I'm so glad we can rejoice, because she's celebrating with Jesus!!
Kelsey Daniel

You all are in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Brad, what a blessing you and Linda have been during these past 13 months. I appreciate Autumn helping with the updates, too. Be assured we are still praying for the family and hope you are comforted by the thought that we are still here for you.
Love,
Ann Martin

Anonymous said...

Dear Loved Family,
What an awesome journey this has been! And speaking personally, God has taught me so much through Linda's presence on this earth. Linda was a light in this world that won't quickly diminish. Her love, faith and kindness lives on through us all! Each tear of grief shed in Linda's passing is a reminder to me that there is more for us all after this - what a comfort. Linda lived her life through faith until the very end. And what a wonderful family she was blessed to share this with! I love you each and every one.

Anonymous said...

Brad and family,
Thank you for allowing us to pray for Linda and for you and the family through this journey. We wish we could be standing by you in person this afternoon but the miles prevent that. Know that we are standing with you in prayer and rejoicing in the victory Linda has recieved. How in adequate words are at a time like this. We will minister lovingly to Marvin and Virginia and by that all of you in the weeks to come.
Love,
Lisa and Tommy

Anonymous said...

The grand beauty of all of this is how intricately God has weaved Himself, through this journey and your words, into the lives of so many. The story God has given you, of pain and peace, trial and joy, and of God's power and love, has already proven a blessing to many, including myself. We serve an awesome God. My prayers will be with you and your family today, and for days to come.

Paul Granger

Marshall Benbow said...

Brad and Family - I am so sorry to hear of your loss (which is Linda's gain in Christ). I am also sorry that I did not check my google-reader this week, because I so wanted to come to the funeral. Please give my love especially to Autumn and Brian, and tell them to contact me if they need any prayer or encouragement. Your family has been close to my heart in these months. marshall benbow
marshall.benbow@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

My husband and I went to Linda's funeral today. We actually have never had a conversation with either of them. The lives of Brad and Linda speaks volumns.I meant Linda and Brad once. She immediately jumped up and hugged me like she and I were old friends. We weren't that-but we are sisters and I am looking forward to knowing her better when I get to go home. This place, earth, is a dress rehearsal for heaven...and Linda did a great job here. She is finally home.