Monday, February 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Linda!

Today is Linda's 53rd birthday - Praise the Lord! We are so thankful that she is here to celebrate it, and she did so this morning already. We have more festivities planned, but we started the day off rejoicing in the wonderful life the Lord has given us.

I apologize for the limited updates. Life is very full for us, and I often do not know exactly how to give you an update on Linda. We have multiple issues we are dealing with at the moment. We are waiting to hear if a podiatrist can see her today to deal with an infection on the big toe of one foot (along with a blister on the same foot) and an ingrown toenail on the other foot. With diabetes, trouble with the feet is always a concern.

On Thursday of this past week, Linda went to see an endocrinologist about her blood sugar levels, which are quite high. It was an encouraging visit with some hopeful treatment plans. Even with increased insulin, though, her blood sugar remains extremely high. This could be due to infections (lungs, feet, upper respiratory), or to the meds prescribed to fight these infections (prednazone, levaquin). The list could go on for quite some space, but you get the idea.

Overall, Linda's medical condition is fair, at best, and that is, of course, relative. Her spirits, on the other hand, are quite good. I asked for special prayer for that a few weeks back - thank you so very much for your prayers along those lines!

We have no idea whether God is going to heal Linda physically or not. PLEASE do not write me and tell me that my faith is weak. We trust God at the highest level we are capable of trusting Him. You may believe that God will heal anyone who has enough faith, but neither Scripture nor experience support such a belief. If I sound defensive, I do not wish to, but I am weary from dealing with this issue. I do not want to ever have to deal with this directly again, but we have had a year of rebuke for a lack of faith - well-intended rebukes, to be sure, but rebukes, nonetheless. OF COURSE I want for God to heal Linda, and we continue to ask Him to do so. I refuse, however, to pretend to think that I KNOW He is going to heal her. To say so would be to presume more than I am allowed to expect. Having said all that, I know that any who scold us (well, me) love Linda deeply and want her to be healed. Thank you, every one of you, for loving us the way you do, even when you disagree with our understanding of God's ways!

Speaking of God's ways, we read in Isaiah 55 last night - oh, the good news that God has given salvation that is free! Also, the compelling news that His ways and thoughts are higher than our ways and thoughts. How much higher? You know, don't you? As high as the heavens are above the earth, His ways are that much higher than ours.

This post has been in the making for about 3 hours with many interruptions. We just heard from the podiatrist - Linda is scheduled for a 2:00 PM appointment.
SPECIAL REQUEST
Linda's parents, Marvin and Virginia Faile, have been with us for a week and had planned to leave on Wednesday. Virginia has not been feeling well the last few days, and this morning, after a restless night, she felt really bad. They left this morning to go home to Rome, Georgia. Virginia had a low-grade fever when she left, and Marvin began an 8-9 hour drive with little sleep last night. PLEASE PRAY FOR THE FAILES ON THEIR TRIP HOME!
God bless you, and again, please forgive my negative comments. I am so sorry to vent, but this journey is difficult enough as it is. The support you have given us sustains us a level that would be impossible without you. That's the way the body of Christ was designed, wasn't it? THANKS!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Linda enjoys her birthday, without pain, feeling good, together with the family.

I keep praying.

Maria Gravis

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Linda-everyone here at North Harnett is thinking of your birthday and sending good wishes, prayers your way.

lisa and zoe

Jonsey said...

Happy Birthday today!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHHHHOOOOOHHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 Year ago who would have thought we would be blessed to be where we are in this!

Brad you and Ms. Linda have displayed such grace in dealing with this and I do not see a lack in faith at all through how you guys have handled it. To God be the Glory great things HE hath done...

Love you guys. I talked to my Principal and we are on green. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Linda!!!!! I thank God for you and Brad and the mighty testimony you have to share with so many of your love for the Lord and for your complete trust in Him. Only He knows the plans He has for us but we must know that His plans are perfect and we have to trust in that always. May God continue to bless you both and may you always feel His mighty love surrounding you. We love you dearly.

Love,

Brenda and Ryan

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Linda!! What a celebration! I wish I could give you both the biggest and best birthday present in the world...healing, but I'm not quite that good! :)But I do trust and pray with you that if our God wants that for you He will grant it in His time! So instead let me tell you, Brad and Linda and family, that you have given me a gift like none other....to KNOW and SEE (in action) that what our God says is True! That when our flesh and our heart fails, He truly is our Strength and Portion FOREVER! I thank you for showing that to me and to thousands who know you and have heard of your story!!!
Courtney Luethy

Celia said...

Dearest Linda and Brad,
Happy Birthday to a precious sister in Christ! Who would have thought we would celebrate this day. Brad, stay strong in the Lord and be encouraged...we are celebrating a miracle today in this celebration. Nowhere in God's Word, the Author and Perfector of our faith, does He promise healing this side of heaven everytime. Jesus prayed "not my will Father but Yours be done". Since when is heaven a bad place to go? Is not more faith necessary to suffer and stay steadfast in this trial than to receive healing? You be blessed and celebrate this incredible love with your bride.

Love you so much and we are praying for you both daily,
Celia and the Gang

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to You. Happy Birthday to You. Happy Birthday, Dear Linda. Happy Birthday to You. (You can be most thankful that we did not sing!) Praying and sending our love, Jim and Marlene

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Linda - I love you! Brad - you don't have a negative bone in your body. We are all believing in God's Will being done. I thank God for the encouragement you have given many people in the past including your wife. I hope to see you both soon. Love, Eva

Anonymous said...

Praise God for you, precious Linda, and a resounding HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I am so grateful that we can send you birthday wishes and celebrate along with you, Brad, and your family! I thank God for you being with us!

Brad, the faith that you and Linda have truly only comes from the Lord Himself. The strength, humility and wisdom He gives you to trust Him and share His faithfulness to You in this year has been humbling and beautiful! It is obvious that you trust Him from the depth of your being. Thank you for that witness! We love you both.

Love,
Keisha and Scott

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to an awesome lady and sister. WE love you!

David, Mary Beth, Bethany, Luke and Cassidy