Monday, February 11, 2008

A Clarification

We have had a wonderful day today, which was Linda's birthday - thank you, Jesus, for my beautiful (inside and out) bride! After a very good visit to the podiatrist, we were able to eat at Sullivan's Steak House in Raleigh tonight with some friends. What a blessing to return home and enjoy all of your comments and well wishes on this special day!


A few comments about the post earlier today. First, let me say that I knew I would regret writing about the responses I have received over this past year based on my beliefs about the "faith and healing" issue. One of the reasons it is so important to me to speak the right things (at least as I understand them to be right) about God was highlighted today when we received two incredibly kind notes, one from a woman who tragically lost her husband a few years ago, and another from a woman Linda's age who lost her son in this past year. What pain for both of these ladies! How could we face these ladies if we wrote that God always gives us what we want and whatever we ask for? I would give anything if I could take Linda's brain tumor - in addition to my love for her, it would be easier for me to write such difficult truth, but it is truth from God's Word and I must proclaim it! Those who say, "Speak no negative thing, but only positive" may put too much stock into their own words and not enough trust in the sovereign God Who has given us His Word.

Oh, I have to stop. No one has written one hint of a negative response, but since I know the good hearts of those who have felt compelled to comment on the issue in days gone by, I regret showing any disappointment at all - we are grateful for every single prayer! My regret for sharing my disappointment will not, though, stop me from writing what I believe to be true about God and this life we live in Jesus.


I also want to clarify my comment about weariness - I was referring only to having to discuss theological differences about healing (I have already confessed my regret at mentioning said weariness!). I am constantly renewed with energy to care for my bride - no doubt, because of the prayers of so many wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ! Please do not stop. Oh, I get tired at times, and it always helps to get away for a bit, but it is such a privilege to serve the lady, who is without a doubt, in my mind, the best person I know. I will hasten to say that her goodness comes from above - it is Jesus in Linda that makes her who she is! But she is the best, and I get to serve her. I will never be able to adequately thank Grace Community Church for allowing me this privilege.


God bless and good night!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Linda!

We love you guys and love the Lord Who has made His presense so real to us through you. The path you have trod has uniquely allowed us to learn more about the heart of our King. You would think earthly sufferings would hide his face from us, but instead there has been an unusual illumination of Who and What He is. How strange. His ways are not our ways! "Now, Lord, just as you have been glorified in Linda's sufferings, we pray that you would be exalted in her healing!"

Steve & Linda

Marc said...

Here is a link to the best book I have ever read on prayer, including faith and prayer. I have read this more than once and our small group went through it together.
If you can't get the link, the book is "Praying Backwards' by Bryan Chapell.
http://www.discerningreader.com/review/praying-backwards/

Brad, I thank God for your and Linda'a testimony through all of this.
We continue to pray.
Marc Callahan

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Greetings to you, Dear Linda. I believe you to be the most awesome lady I know. How great and mysterious are the Lord's ways to show forth His Grace and Power through such weak vessels as we all are. Your life has touched untold numbers of people. I love you, Becky

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Linda and blessings to you, Brad! You are in our hearts and prayers daily.

I can't believe people still tell you that Linda isn't being healed because of lack of faith (or lack of praying hard enough) on anyone's part. That is complete and utter nonsense. Some people live in a bubble and are not oriented to reality in any way. I am so sorry that on top of what has been happening over the past year, you have also had to deal with (blame?) for Linda's condition by some.

We will of course continue to pray for a miracle, but if that doesn't happen it is certainly not because prayer or faith were lacking. To even glorify God at all in the midst of this ordeal is a miracle, as many others would not be as humble and thankful as you are now.

-a friend

Anonymous said...

I have had to reduce the question of pain and suffering for His Own down to its most basic to be able to even begin to grasp what its all about. While basic, it's still not simple because it has to do with God..
"God can. He does not always choose to do so. It's His business." Psalms says He's in Heaven doing as He pleases. But because of Hezekiah and so many other places in Scripture, I also have the freedom to approach Him boldly about what I would so love to see Him choose to do. J. Dickens

Anonymous said...

I haven't been able to attend GCC lately to hear updates on Linda in person, but I check your blog as often as I can! Happy belated birthday, Linda!
I read and love fills my heart for your family - I pray for Linda and you often, and am greatly encouraged by your steadfast faith. Stay strong!
In Christ,
Abigail Guyton

Anonymous said...

Brad you don't have to explain anything to anyone. There are very few of us who fully understand all that you all are going through. People just want to help, but I remember when my Dad died; all the well-wishing, all the kind words, all the advice, all the warm thoughts, all meant to help, but when it all comes down to it, you have to work it out on your own between you and the Lord. I pray daily for all of you that you might receive the grace that you need to continue on through this situation, no matter what God brings or allows, and that He will use every aspect of the situation to bring glory to His name.
Samuel Rutherford once said, "Our little time of suffering will not be worth our first night's welcome home to heaven."

Love,
David E.

PS
There's some kind of glitch with this system. Every time I try to post a comment, I have to reset my password, and this time it won't let me.

Kelly said...

Brad,
Your love for Jesus and your wife is so obvious and I appreciate your transparency. You and your family are glorifying God in the midst of these most difficult trials. I am praying for you all!