Tuesday, February 13, 2007

a note from Brad

February 13, 2007

I keep thinking that our lives have prepared us for this place. I know how that sounds, but it is not what I mean at all! It is not that Linda and I have walked so closely with the Lord that we naturally just respond the right way. HA! On several accounts!

First of all, this trial is ridiculously tough. I nearly panicked last night when I thought about the fact that Linda may not be here with me much longer. We repeatedly ask God for a miracle in the face of impossible (human) odds. We know that God will be glorified in life or death, but we ask for life!

Second, neither of us look back on our lives with particular pride – and that is not because we are so humble. So many times God has given us opportunities to trust Him, but we have often chosen to work out our own problems in typical 21st century American fashion. Now, He has brought us to the place where the best that man has to offer is insufficient. It is a matter of trusting God or embracing despair.

We choose to trust God. Once again, not because we are so spiritual, but because He has enabled us to do so. If you are wondering what I mean by that, I don’t have any idea that I can explain it. I absolutely know that there is nothing inside either of us that would lend itself to trusting God this much in this crisis. He makes it possible – today, that is. Who knows how we will do tomorrow? I used to think I knew how I would respond under pressure, but like Peter, I found that my life did not always measure up to my mouth. (John 13:36-38; 18:15-18)

I guess the point I am trying to make is that it seems to us that there is too much “I” and “we” in these notes. I have this fear that a phrase like “it’s all about God” has become a cliché that is thrown about by “those in the know.” There is not anything wrong with the words, but I wonder how often it is true of us? Funny, I asked that very question to our congregation the Sunday before that fateful Friday when our lives were changed forever. Then we knew. Then it became crystal clear – either we believe it all (God created the heavens and the earth, when Adam and Eve sinned, we all fell with them, God came to earth and died for the sins of man, He will return to rule completely one day), or we don’t believe anything. It was not a difficult choice, because the Lord was with us, weeping with us, putting His arms around us, comforting us with His presence that Friday night.

So, it is about Him. Linda and I have come close to making it about us in so very many ways, and because of the heart’s deceitfulness, it may very well be about us. No question, we want God to be glorified. And we want the last sentence to be so much more than words. Life is so fleeting. We cram a lot in during our very modern lifetimes, but even still, life is gone before we know it.

Our prayers have been a great deal about physical and emotional needs, lately. Our hearts are increasingly being drawn to the prayers of Paul, where his interest lay in the spiritual health of his readers. Colossians 1:9-14 is particularly encouraging to us, but so are Philippians 1:9-11, Ephesians 3:14-21, and Ephesians 1:15-23. As you pray for us, please pray that we (and you!) will know the Lord in the ways these prayers encourage us to know Him. God bless you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad and Linda,
Knowing where to start is the challenge in trying to convey the love that is felt for you both now more than ever. Your spirits are testimony to the supernatural love that only our God can supply. We are all inspired by your faith and staggered by our inability to parallel that unwavering belief with words of comfort. Only God can provide that comfort,we can and thankfully are being utilized by Him to convey that love here and now. Rarely has the word Grace been personified so magnificently in the lives of Gods servants as you both are exhibiting right now. Thank you for being a lighthouse in a world so desperately in need of His love. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers, praise God for what He is doing through you.
pg

Anonymous said...

Brad/Linda,

We love you. You guys - in ways
you will only know on the other
side - have encouraged us beyond
encouragement these last several
days.

Scott and Keisha

Brad,

In my mind's eye - though I have
not seen you or Linda since the
news - I imagine what you guys
are going through. I can see
your faces. I can see the faith
and belief behind the pain and
confusion - the bedrock foundation
that is Christ in you guys.
I can not put into words how
"seeing" you two - that are one -
has opened my eyes even further
to the REALITY of EVERYTHHING
that God tells us about Himself
through His word. I am thankful
that I can see more clearly the
riches in Christ that we - who are
in "the Way" - all have to look
forward to one day very soon.

Your brother,
Scott
to look forward to Him

Gramps G said...

Brad and Linda,
Words come slowly in trying to express the joy, sorrow and all thoughts in between. Your testimony and faith through this severest of trials has been such a blessing to all of us. The concept of grace has been beautifully expressed in your willingness to be faithful and trust God. He has been glorified by your letters and your hearts.
Trying to convey the deep love and empathy we all feel for you both now and forever testifies to the confusion and hope that clouds those thoughts. It's comforting to know that the creator of every cell in Linda's body is holding her close during this intense trial. What a blessing to see her husband evidence his faith in deeds and words.
We're trusting the God of Phillipians 4:13 who is able to do all things through Christ. Forgive us for being so inept at expressing our concern and love for you both right now. We are here, we love you, we are praying constantly for God's glory in this chapter of your lives.
pg

Anonymous said...

What a great example of faith you have been from me. Even from so far away. Love you guys and hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Brad,

Linda, you and your entire family are in our prayers. Your letters and the letter from Linda have been encouraging( your strength in our faith is personally contagious).

Please let Ellen and I know if we can help in anyway, beyond our prayers for you all.

Your brother,

Marty