Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Most Difficult Question to Answer

"How is Linda doing?" is an extremely difficult question for me to answer. It is not that I mind being asked - we are SO very grateful for the love and concern that exists for Linda! It is just tough to know what to say because the answer is ever changing. I recently told you of the news we received from the doctor the week before Thanksgiving - Linda's body is shutting down. Last week Linda improved considerably and our hope was renewed. This week - well, Linda is suffering physically more than I recall during this entire year. She has begun having headaches, her throat hurts very badly (medical help is limited because of liver issues), and her chest and stomach hurt quite a bit. The are that hurts the most, though, is her lower back - no position seems to mitigate the pain at all. The doctor says that there may be a kidney infection and so he gave her an antibiotic that will not hurt her liver. If you are reading this on Tuesday night, PLEASE PRAY. Pray for the pain to leave, and for grace in the meantime. God is able to take away the pain - and, to give the grace to endure if He has called any of us to that. I prefer the removal of the problem, but God's will is better than ours.

All of us in the family have thought of what it would be like to have such limited mobility over such a long span of time. Some of you who are reading this have had loved ones to suffer for longer than ten months (and perhaps you have yourself), but it has been no easy calling for Linda. Always sleeping in the exact same position, sitting in only a few limited spots - can you imagine how much pressure that would put on your back?

Liz is here this week and I called Michael to come in and help - I was sick yesterday and today with a stomach bug. I did my best to avoid contact with Linda, but some contact was unavoidable. Please pray that she will not catch the bug I had (brief, but rather intense). Autumn comes tomorrow.

I do not think I have asked for specific prayer for me at this site beyond a request for wisdom. I would like to ask something specifically, now. I am really tired - physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Tomorrow I am going to take a little time away to seek the Lord for strength in all areas. I am sure you understand that when I confess my exhaustion that it does not mean I am weary of taking care of my precious wife. As I have repeatedly said, I will take 40 years of life just as it is right now! Oh, we would have to make different arrangements, to be sure, but I want many, many more years with the woman who has been - and, is - a treasure to me. God blessed me beyond my wildest expectations when He gave Linda to me. I am tired, though, and need a bit of refreshment from the Lord. So, thank you for praying, and while you are at it, please pray for our children and their spouses, our grandchildren, Linda's parents, siblings and children, my parents (who are enduring a trial of their own), siblings, their spouses and children. I think that covers it!

There is more to say, but it will have to wait. I can never thank you adequately for your love and prayers!

3 comments:

Marc said...

But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
"The LORD is my portion," says my soul,
"therefore I will hope in him."
Lam 3:21-24

Praying for you and Linda and your family.
Marc Callahan

Jonsey said...

Man, I am so thankful that you are going to be able to take some time to rest Brad. What a measure of grace! I will be praying that the Lord will extend that short extra rest and multiply its affects.

Anonymous said...

Brad,
We love you and Pray for you and Linda Daily. Missy and myself really want to come see you-Miss you and love you-
BEN & Missy FOWLKES