Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Premature Death - Just in Time!

Don't let the title fool you - Linda continues to do well (thanks be to God!) and we continue to pray for complete healing. We have, however, been forced to consider the prospects of a premature death in our family. The first week after Linda's diagnosis, most of us felt certain her days were limited. I remember Linda's mother saying several times, "I just never thought one of my children would go before me." In fact, all of us were in a daze, fully understanding Virginia's sad reflections. We are so grateful that now our days are filled with hope for Linda's continued presence with us .

There is something quite unnatural about someone dying "before his or her time," isn't there? But, when is our time? Are we guaranteed a long life on this earth if we serve the Lord? In Psalm 90:10, Moses said, "The length of our days is seventy years - or eighty, if we have the strength; yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away." Wow - we could spend a good while unpacking that verse!

While we point to Moses' words as the "norm" for this life, we also acknowledge David's position when he said in Psalm 31:15, "My times are in Your hands." Is "premature death" an oxymoron in the big picture? In one sense, yes. God has established my beginning and my "end," at least in this world as we know it. But, it is not natural for us to long for death as Paul seemed to do in his letters. In fact, we did not finish David's words in Psalm 31:15 - here is the rest of that verse: "My times are in Your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me."

David was facing an untimely death at the hands of those who hated him. He acknowledged that God would have the final say as to the length of his days - and he asked that those days might be extended. We are asking the same for Linda, but we recognize that the final decision is in God's hands. We have repeatedly been told something like, "prayer works," and while we certainly believe the promises God makes about prayer in His Word, we also want to make sure that we acknowledge Him as the center of focus in this trial - not us, nor our prayers. In other words, "God works, and He is awesome, no matter what His decision is." That is not in any way meant to diminish the importance of prayer - in fact, PLEASE KEEP PRAYING as David did - and then acknowledge that your times, as well as Linda's, are in God's hands.

David's prayer for relief from those who sought his life is very much like the typical response of a cancer patient - or someone who has been diagnosed with any life threatening disease, or someone who has just been in an accident and has sustained injuries that may be life-threatening - in short, anyone faced with the prospects of a premature death. We all want to live! I very much believe that the will to live is a God-given impulse and instinct. It is SO appropriate to pray for life - and unless you have stared your own death in the face, you have no idea how you will respond. "Oh, yes I do - I would not seek to thwart God's obvious plan for my life!" With respect, no you do not know how you would respond. In fact, there is a good chance you would fall to your knees and beg for mercy. We should not be terrified of death - not if we have the hope of eternal life - but not many of us are as spiritually minded as Paul was who welcomed the opportunity to be in Jesus' presence at the first possible moment. (2 Corinthians 5:8)

While we may refuse to "go gently into that good night," we can have confidence in what will occur when that night (death) comes, no matter what age we are. In fact, Linda says that her reading in Randy Alcorn's book, Heaven, makes that "night" seem much more like brilliant day! Such confidence is available in a relationship with Jesus Christ. Oddly enough, it was His premature death that enables us to have life!

I have been reading (again) John Stott's classic, The Cross of Christ. Early in the book, Stott recounts all the places in the gospels where Jesus predicted His own early, violent death. The disciples, most notably Peter, (Matthew 16:21-28) sought to dissuade Jesus from His destiny. Jesus reacted passionately, identifying Peter's comments with Satan's plan to keep Him from the cross. In fact, Jesus Himself struggled greatly with God's plan, passionately asking God to change His mind about the death that was before Him.

Why the cross? Why was it necessary for the Son of God (God in the flesh) to die such a horrible, violent, premature death? Could not have Jesus done so much more good by remaining alive until He was well advanced in years? Well, no. Our sins had separated us from God - every one of us. Jesus' entry into this world and His sacrificial death were just in time for us! (Galatians 4:1-7) God's law had justly condemned us and we were estranged from God. Death - spiritual death as well as physical death - was (and is) the penalty for sin. As much as I love my wife, I cannot die for her sins - I must pay for my own. Thus, Linda and I both desperately need someone to pay our penalty. Jesus was the only One eligible to be our substitute and He did, indeed, die for us. He died for you, my friend!

Do you believe that? Have you ever prayed and told Him that you are giving up on trying to get to heaven, and that you are sorry for your sins, but eternally grateful that He died for you and that you will follow Him all your days - with His help? If so, then His perfectly-timed death assures you of eternal life! And that's a good thing, since Moses told us - and David implied - that these days are full of sorrow and quickly gone. Oh, thank God for His plan of salvation!

If you have questions about what it means to be a Christian but you do not want to leave a comment on this page, please e-mail me at btalley5@earthlink.net. I would love to share with you (from the Bible) how you can know for sure that when your time comes - as it surely will - you will live with Jesus for eternity. Jesus' death was a premature death that was just in time for us. That is incredible news.

2 comments:

Jonsey said...

God's grace is so incredible. I am beside myself at how much Ms. Linda has progressed, even to the point of hearing that she is reading that beefy Randy Alcorn book. I love you guys, thank you for being such an example of living Christ in all situations sorrows and joys!
your thirdish daughter

Steve said...

I will sing praises to my God while I have my being. Do not trust in princes, in mortal man, in whom there is no salvation. (Ps 146)

"in my mind I'm going to Carolina" I still laugh often about the good old days! Love you guys.

PS Alcorn rocks!