Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Linda's Valentine to Brad

Brad, some things came up this past week or two, so I was not able to get you a Valentine’s Day card. Would you mind if this could count this year? If you don’t mind, I may share it with one or two who might read your blog.

My heart and mind are so full they seem to swirl most of the time these days, so I’m going to try to sort some out. I’m mainly mulling over thoughts that follow up Brad’s second recently-posted letter in order to give my perspective during these days.

Just about every Christian wedding ceremony contains some portion of the Scripture found in Ephesians 5. The whole chapter is filled with practical advice on how we as believers in Jesus Christ should live, but I particularly love the thoughts on marriage since I am seeing them lived out right now before my eyes.

Jesus is described a husband or groom, while His bride is actually all Christians – that is, true believers in Christ who have a relationship with Him.

God himself invented marriage, not just for our benefit and pleasure, but much more deeply, to be a beautiful symbolic picture of Jesus as a perfect groom or husband to His bride – Christians who have a relationship with Him. Just like Jesus loved us enough to give Himself for us, husbands are directed to love their wives in the same way.

As Brad mentioned earlier, we have no intention of causing any unnecessary pain or hurt in addressing this subject. Many of our dear friends through the years have experienced the devastating pain of a hurting, wounded, broken marriage; even rejection and abandonment. I just really want to let you know that I am truly experiencing this spiritual dimension of marriage with a depth I never really saw before.

Brad and I have been best friends for three and a half decades and lifetime partners for over 30 years, but these past days have allowed me to see unconditional love like I never have before. With my left-side muscle weakness, I have never felt more helpless and dependent upon others. Along with my children, parents, sister, brothers and many other dear friends, I lean very heavily (literally) on Brad these days for basic locomotion and to meet basic needs. Several times a day we have opportunities for us to be reminded that we said “in sickness and in health” in our vows long ago, and Brad is proving that he meant it. He is pouring himself out for me sacrificially over and over every day, showing me his commitment, compassion and unconditional love, with not one glimmer or sigh of frustration. I am so grateful for Brad and his love, faithfulness, compassion, and kindness, all undeserved by me.

As wonderful and blessed as this is for me, I am seeing this and feeling this in a whole new way. Since a Christian marriage is supposed to be a picture of our very relationship with Jesus Christ, I am finally starting to really get it. Whenever I see Brad patiently take care of me, pray to me, sing to me, comfort me, cry with me, wake up in the middle of the night to talk to me, get me water, or move me around, I am getting a very tangible reminder that Jesus Himself is here with me, and that He does love me and has not forsaken me, even during these dark, scary days.

Soon after receiving our stunning news, I specifically prayed for God’s touch, His voice, His presence. I was desperate for it. After just a few days, the bolt of a thought came pretty quickly: “Girl, wake up and put on your glasses! I am here. I do love you – so much that I died for you to forgive your sins so we can be together forever. I will always be faithful to you and will never leave you. I love you unconditionally, and will comfort you.” Yes, He is also using the touch and the care of my precious family and friends, music, and His amazing written words (which I find myself craving more and more). But I just wanted to share with you this meaningful depth to our marriage that God is showing me in my life. It has certainly caused my gratitude to deepen for the love of Brad and Jesus Christ. And I am loving them both more and more every day.

Brad, thank you so much for all you’ve done for me, for what you are doing now, and for what you are going to do. Thank you especially for your unconditional love to me and for being a very real picture of Jesus to me during my days of the greatest need in my life. I am totally addicted to you, and would love nothing more than to hop up right now and spoil you to pieces! You are my best friend on this earth, and I love your smile, your eyes, and your big heart for the world and for Jesus. You are so smart and funny and wise, and I am so glad God put you here to go through this with me. Happy Valentine’s Day, Baby.

Linda.

No comments: