Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Remembering Mom - Autumn, for the Kids

Remembering Mom

It’s that time of year again when my thoughts of Mom have been pressing and heavy. I think about Mom many times every single day, but these first three months of the year are thick with more difficult memories from her sickness, ultimately culminating to March 3rd, 2008 when she, as Dad said in his last post, passed from death to life. I really wanted to do something to honor Mom’s memory this year so I asked Dad awhile ago if I could post something on her blog. And now that it’s time to post, I have serious writer’s block.

I don’t have a lot of theology or wisdom to impart, but I just wanted to take some time and intentionally remember Mom. The idea came to me on her birthday last month when I was reading some Facebook comments. Our dear family friend, Sherri Russell, posted a comment on Aunt Terri’s page simply saying, “I love her and miss her too.” It reminded me again how many countless people out there, from so many places of our lives, love and miss Mom. What a tremendous impact she made on so many lives in her short 53 years on Earth. We were reminded of that in droves when she was sick. The meals, visits, cards, housecleaning, yard work, uplifting videos, music, scrapbooks and gifts poured in nonstop for over a year. It was an amazing testimony of the body of Christ in motion. Can I say THANK YOU again on behalf of the whole family, including Mom? We were all absolutely overwhelmed by your love and generosity.

I really miss Mom’s smiling, beautiful face. She loved Jesus with all her heart and it radiated through her. I love to listen to old hymns now because they remind me of Mom’s sweet voice singing harmonies in the pew beside us at Fellowship Baptist. I think of her standing there with her strong voice, lovingly shepherding her little flock of Liz, Michael and me, making sure we were growing up in God’s Word. She was a beautiful example of Deuteronomy 6: 6-8, faithfully growing in love and service to the Lord and teaching those values to her children.

One of Mom’s favorite verses that she shared with me was from Isaiah 30:15, “…In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength…” Mom really exuded these qualities of quietness and confidence. Liz reminded me one time that she almost always had a smile on her face – both when she was healthy and sick. She had a genuine little laugh that would come out in conversations and I miss that laugh. She was shy and insecure but I’m so proud of her for boldly stepping out and serving and counseling so many. Maybe that’s why she liked that verse…she was quiet, but she found her confidence in Christ.

She was a great Mom and I appreciate so many things about her. I love that she modeled the importance of an education by going back to college and graduating in her thirties. She gave us a love for reading, she taught us the value of true nutrition long before it was popular, and she gave us a lot of freedom in letting us run wild all over TVR property.

Mom’s absence from this earth is really hard for me in two ways. One, because I was just developing a true “friendship” with her as an adult. We had finally moved past those difficult teenage years, accepted each other as individuals and settled into a nice groove. I’m sad that we weren’t able to further develop that relationship. The other really tough thing is really missing her guidance and support now that I am a mom to a sweet and sassy 19-month old who is brimming with life and energy and is just so lovable! Mom loved, loved, loved her grandchildren Laurel, Judge and Willow. And now three years later she has three more in Alia, Audrey, and little Miles on the way. It’s sad for me to know that the kids are missing the love of their Nina in this lifetime. I know she would give really great advice on a lot of the questions that I have. She was very wise, well-read and imparted her knowledge is such a gentle way.

I miss Mom every single day. Walking through the difficult year of her sickness and then seeing her die changed me in so many ways. I am a stronger, less fearful, more patient and loving person after experiencing the intensity of caregiving. I always feared sickness…and then she got sick…and died…the very worst thing I could imagine! But you know what? It’s okay. I’m still trying to accept that. It’s okay. It’s more than okay. She finished her race (Hebrews 12:1). The thing that’s tough is that I am still running mine and still trying to come to terms with the fact that more sickness and more death will come; it is guaranteed. I’ll admit that, along with the fear I’ve cast to the side, sometimes it feels like I’ve just shouldered different fears of losing someone else close to me, or myself dying while my daughter is still young.

These are just aftereffects of the grief, I suppose, but I am dealing with them. In fact, even as I write this, I’ve thought about Hebrews 12 that I just referenced. It gives a really good answer for this fear that still paralyzes me from time to time. “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.” I guess it’s full circle back to what I said at the beginning – that Mom absolutely loved Jesus. She had such a firm foundation in His Word and His love, that she was not shaken when she was given a diagnosis of an aggressive brain tumor. Like any human, she had her moments of fear and weakness. But she kept circling back to Jesus. That is awesome and I’m so proud of her and the example she set.

I think I’ve officially written more than what is considered acceptable for a ‘blog,’ but I did want to mention one more thing before I close this out. While it has been hard to be a young mom and not have my mom around, God really does give more grace. I want to give a big hug to my amazing husband, Brian who shepherds our family with grace, love and a lot of fun; and to so many women who have stepped in to fill a role: my dear friend and mother-in-law, Debbie; my new stepmom, Alison (Who, by the way, is just as incredible as Dad describes in his posts. What a tremendous blessing she and her kids, Jonathan and Sarala, are to our family!); my beautiful sisters, Liz and Laura; my steadfast grandmas, Virginia and Patricia; my godly aunts and cousins, and so many other amazing women in my life who have loved me through some really tough times. I love you all so much.

And by the way, since I’ve poached this space, I want to say that all of these godly characteristics of Mom are equally true of our Dad. We are so incredibly blessed to have grown up in a household that had a firm foundation in God’s Word. Thank you, Dad, for being a rock as we walked through this darkest valley; for always pointing us to Jesus and for being equal parts leader, mentor and friend to us now!

Thanks for taking the time to visit and hear where I am today (every day is different) after three years of missing Mom on this earth. God bless you all as you also reflect on your own special memories of her on this day!

12 comments:

ryan luther said...

excellent post autumn. i didn't know your mom very well but she was always pretty amazing whenever i was around her.

Kathryn Elliott said...

Autumn, you know how much I loved Linda. She was a rock to me at times, and I never remember seeing her that she wasn't smiling - even when she was sick. Sometimes I get to thinking about her, and I start crying. I just miss her so much. But we know the Lord was ready for her. Thanks for your beautiful tribute on behalf of all the kids to your Mom.

Ron & Debbie Stafford said...

Autumn, Thank you for sharing your heart through this beautiful tribute to precious Linda. I loved her so much and learned so much from her words and her life. You are so much like her in so many ways!! I know she is smiling at your life as a wife and mother, Autumn. Your hunger for knowledge & information is so like Linda! She amazed me how she could whip up homemade chocolate or lemon pies like it was nothing...her banana pudding with the 2 inch meringue topping was incredible. A couple of months before her home-going, Ron and I were staying with them and she wanted to make her banana pudding for a Superbowl party for Brad and friends...she asked me to make it....and with great fear I did it because so wanted to have it for Brad. She walked me through the steps one by one--encouraging and cheering me on. It turned out great to which I give Linda and God the glory!! She told me she struggled with standing in front of people to talk or teach but she could bake a pie, bread or cake without batting an eye....what a great memory. I am so blessed that our son married Autumn and we became family with Brad and Linda and their children. This is truly a gift from God. I miss you, LInda, and not a day goes by that I don't think of you and wish you were here to see Autumn and Alia. I will always remind Alia how great her Nina was and what a great legacy you left her and all her children and grandchildren. Your touch is on each of them. To God be the Glory great things He has done! with love, Debbie

Anonymous said...

Autumn, what a wonderful reflection of the past and the present - and how your Mom was such a godly influence then and now. What a precious gift from God! Thank you for sharing from your heart. As you know, our family is now traveling this road. Your Dad has been an encouragement to me and now you. God is faithful, isn't He and He will carry us every step of the way?
I am praying for you today.
Pam Carson

Anonymous said...

I think of Linda everyday. I loved her very much and made an impact in my life. I will never forget her.
Autumn, I remember attending your beautiful wedding invited by your mum. I am glad to read about your family and how you are feeling.
Lots of love from Spain.

Olga

Nicole Keith Trail said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom, and thank you for mentioning my mom in it as well! She does love all of you like you are her "own" - everyone is family in the Lord. I wish I had gotten to know your mother better...but her loving legacy remains in the way you all continue to love each other so much.

David Cotton said...

Dear Autumn, Liz, Michael and Brad - how beautiful to read the past two blogs at this three year mark. I have read them to Alison's Mum, here in Sydney, just before I head back to Spain. We (Alison's family - I am her brother) are blessed to even just know you guys, even though we did not know your Mum. We loved meeting you all and staying with Brian and Alia last year. Our thoughts and prayers are with y'all, and appreciate all that you are to us and especially to Alison. Oh ... what parents you kids have/had. How beautiful to have that example - not only in our Heavenly Father, but in your Mom and Dad. Strangely (in terms of timing) Alison and I and my other sister Heather, reflect on the three years from our Dad passing (not nearly so young as Linda) in just two weeks time. Prayerfully for all of you, and with much love, David and all the Cotton family

Unknown said...

Dear Autumn: Thank you for sharing your thoughts and honor your mother in this way as you remember her going Home. Having lost my mom as well (2 years ago), I can relate to a lot of the things you said. The legacy of our dear moms becomes more evident as time goes by...I think that is how God designed it so it would be a source of comfort. He is such a loving God, isn't He? I loved your mom from the moment I met her and she continues to be an example to me of what a Christian woman should be. May God bless you and your beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post Autumn. Linda was such a beautiful person. She was always so positive and I enjoyed hearing her stories about the children she taught. She would always get excited about the gains they would make in learning English. We both shared a love of teaching special needs children. But more than anything I remember visiting her the first time she got home from the hospital, with all that she went through and was going through she still would smile, praise God and you could see Jesus in her. I would always get in my car, and start crying thanking God for such a wonderful Godly friend. I went to be a blessing, but always left blessed beyond belief. I thought to myself, if I get cancer, or a terminal illness, I pray I could be like Linda, praising God and witnessing to others, and just being herself...blessing others.
Hugs,
Vickie

Jonsey said...

Thank you Autumn for sharing your heart. With tears in my eyes I am encouraged by how you are moving through this painful reality of life with honesty, hope and joy in Christ. She will forever be a model of godliness, faithfulness and meekness to me.

Heather McAlpine said...

from Heather McAlpine (Alison's sister)
Hi Autumn,....It was beautiful to hear your heart expressed towards your Mum. Although I've not yet met her or you, I feel like I know you both, through your Dad when he and Alison came to Australia last summer. Just recovering from my own cancer treatment at the time, I remember being blessed by you singing at the wedding as I watched it all on the DVD with Alison. I was richly blessed not only by your voice but by the WAY in which you sang. I can see that your Mum's beautiful gentle spirit has been passed down to you.
I've been thinking of you this past week, together with your Dad, Liz and Michael, and pray that your daily reflections on your Mum will nourish and comfort you.
I find great comfort and peace,'walking' in a way, with my Dad (who also passed on to be with our Heavenly Father 3 years ago). I too, feel so close to him still, experiencing through the Holy Spirit his companionship,wisdom and encouragement in my life. Yes, he was my cheerleader!
Autumn, I know the mother-heart and grandmother-heart of your Mum will be inextricably expressed through you and others to your dear children. I look forward to one day meeting you and Liz and Michael, together with all your children.
May God bless you all, particularly with his tenderness through this month.

with much love,
heather

Anonymous said...

and I too think of your mom often, there is a part of her that I carry each day. We need to remember to be what she knew we all had the potential to be.