Thursday, July 8, 2010

In Australia

Alison and I arrived in Australia yesterday morning, having chased the sun out of Los Angeles on Monday night and then beating it to Sydney by about 30 minutes Wednesday morning. I just got Internet access earlier today (Thursday evening) for my computer. I have been able to access emails and the Internet via my Blackberry, but there is no way I was going to post anything from that! Besides, yesterday was a day of recovery from the flight - the most difficult I have had in a long time.

Although it was a difficult day physically, there was no let-down in the anticipation of meeting Joan, Alison's sweet and hardy Mum. Joan had a stroke two years ago while visiting her son's family in Spain. It appeared she may not ever see her home again, but the Lord brought her back from the brink and I am blessed for her resilience. What a delightful lady who loves the Lord, loves people, and loves life! I look forward to many coffee's and tea's and hours of conversation with my mother-in-law.

Currently, we are in the home of dear friends of Alison's, Barbie and Hugh. Barbie met us at the airport (along with Alison's cousin, Max, and Joan), as is the tradition for these close friends of many years. Alison has a passle of friends in the U.S., and it is becoming apparent that she has an equal number of pals in Oz. Tomorrow, we will go higher in the Blue Mountains - hopefully I will have more to report after our adventures. We may go to an area where we can expect to see kangaroos in the wild. Tonight, we may be able to hear a local wallaby from Hugh and Barbie's home on the edge of the bush.

Australia is a beautiful country, but the people are more beautiful than the landscape! Easy and fun (yet meaningful and purpose-filled) conversation is the norm, here. The bread is delicious - and that, my friends, is trouble. Oh, do pray for us!

1 comment:

PTG said...

Exciting stuff! Thanks for reporting! It's nice to check this page and see something new! Ill try not to get envious while I read of your adventures.