Monday, November 12, 2007

Doctors and Tests

I know that many of you check this blog every day, or at least every few days. Please excuse the delay since the last post. It seems that we spend all of our time at doctors these days.

In addition to the privilege I have to take care of my beloved and the time it takes for us to go to doctors’ offices and testing facilities (x-rays, MRI’s, etc.) I put a fair amount of time into preparing sermons. I can’t tell you how much I love that – I love to preach, and I love preparing the sermons! It is somewhat different these days, though, than it used to be. In the past, I would go into the pulpit on Sunday morning armed with a great deal more information than I delivered in the sermon. Not so these days! What I preach is “all I got!” It is a case, though, of God showing His strength in my weakness, but that’s the way it should be, isn’t it?

Speaking of weakness, Linda and I are! I have begun preaching through Philippians – what a joy. Paul’s spirit of gratitude to God for using him to advance the gospel even in the most difficult of circumstances (imprisonment) has spoken to Linda and me both. She is struggling to reach the point of saying, “I want the gospel to be advanced no matter what it takes.” As she reminds me, it is difficult for her because she has a brain tumor. Hey, I totally understand! It is one thing to make such a strong commitment when all is well in one’s life, but when you realize that it could mean – well, you know – it’s a different story.

Linda had an MRI for her stomach area (checking liver, pancreas) last week. The GI doc called today and said that there is inflammation, most likely caused by high cholesterol (caused mostly by inactivity – muscle weakness on the left side) and medicines (used to protect against infections caused by steroids, which are used to counteract swelling in the brain which causes muscle weakness). The good news with the liver is that it appears to be improving, though there are many medicine restrictions and diet concerns, as if the diabetes did not require enough of those!

It would be difficult to fully communicate what life is like for us, though the previous paragraph was an attempt at a portion of the picture, anyway. But you know what? First, we wouldn’t have had this kind of life if we lived 50 years ago – in fact, Linda would likely not be here this long after the initial symptoms presented if we had lived then. Second, I would not be able to participate in Linda’s treatment to near this level if it were not for the wonderful folks at Grace Community Church – the elders allow me to take the time I need, and there is great understanding and help in ways you cannot imagine from the congregation. Third, this is the life to which God has called us. Really, this could have been stated first and nothing else be said, but all the rest is part of God’s plan, so it is important.

Tomorrow morning, Linda must see the Infectious Diseases’ Doctor, who manages her bronchitis/pneumonia. Please pray that the cause of her congestion and difficulty with breathing will be properly diagnosed and treated (made more difficult by liver concerns) – preferably without hospitalization! On Wednesday, Linda will go to Duke for consultation on the next step for chemo treatment. That will be determined to a large degree by her respiratory and liver issues.

Thank you for caring so much and praying so faithfully! As difficult as Linda’s condition is at present, we pray for a miracle! God bless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda,

I am awake this late at night and praying for you. I can not tell you enough how much your life (how you live it - in past and present) has strengthened my relationship with God. I think of Jesus as my lighthouse and don't want to take any glory from Him. As I have read the bible over the last few years, I asked God are there anymore saints left in this present time? Then I met you and my wonderful Pastor's wife and the answer is YES! Please know I am continuing to pray for you. I love you.
Eva

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda and Brad,
You don't know me from Adam's housecat, but this is to let you know that you both are on our active "prayer list" at Fountain Presbyterian Church. The two of you have been on our list for some time and I am glad to be able to go to the "blog" and get not only an update, but also an affirmation of your faith (and, indeed, ours!). The Doxology is apt even in the midst of apparent darkness on this side of the Church Triumphant. May God's grace continue to uphold you both in his "everlasting arms."
--Shalom,
"Tweetybird" Claude
Andrews (friend of Kim- -your neighbor and
her mom, Gerry Campbell
e-mail:
tweetymedic@ec.rr.com

Anonymous said...

As I read your blog and the comments it amazes me to hear how the Lord is using you through this MORE than difficult time. Just listen to Eva and how through your life has strengthened her relationship with God. It is amazing to witness! You'll never know all the lives you have touched through your witness. I am reminded of the video of the song "Thank you for Giving to the Lord" one by one they came as far as the eye could see... This is how I envision the picture when you two meet the Father.
God continue to bless you and hold both of you in the palm of His hand!
Love,
Vickie